Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Arran: Parting is such sweet sorrow!

View from front door of our cottage!
Parting shots!


   As I was reading over my journal, I came upon an entry that I should have posted at the end of my last post. So I will share it here, but connect it to November 23rd post.

   As Bobby and I were 'strolling in the gloaming' the evening prior to our departure, we agreed that Scotland, especially Arran, was more beautiful than we could have imagined. While we slowly walked the path leading away from our cottage, I recalled how earlier in the week, as I was walking this very same path, I had met a young man named Robbie who was working on his home, and engaged him in a conversation. He told me how much he loved living on Arran, and described it as a very safe place to live–especially for children. "It's sort of like a place that's not been contaminated by the current horribleness of the world," he said.
  In sharing with Bobby the young man's description of this dreamy island, we both agreed it could have been the setting for Brigadoon. Separated from the rest of the world and not contaminated by it.

Parting shot of our quaint home on Arran.




Well, as they say, "All good things must come to an end."

8/22/15

  Scotland, especially Arran, exceeded my expectations. Her cool but pleasant climate, her warm, friendly, gracious, and hospitable people, her spectacular pastoral landscapes, her gentle and peaceful pace of life made it hard to leave. But as wonderful as all that was, she was not My Home. America, Quito, TN is my home and where I belong. I was ready to go home! Nevertheless, making this trip to Scotland was the fulfillment of a dream. One that I will thank God for the rest of my days.

As we departed the ferry, we drove by ASDA. In America we  refer to  it as Wal-Mart!

   However, there was one more trip to make. We drove to the ferry, boarded and set out in the direction of Larkhall. We were eager to return there for one last visit with Kate, Marcos, the Wadsworths, and Sam & Francis before returning to the States.


No comments:

Post a Comment