Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Larkhall, for a second (and last time)


Farewell Arran!

8-22-15 (Saturday)

   We left for the ferry a little earlier than planned. Reason being, Bobby was going to have to drive to Edinburgh as soon as we arrived in Larkhall in order to pick up Maridith's computer. (She was having it repaired at the Apple store there) So instead of arriving around 2:30 has originally planned, we arrived at 10:30. We didn't get to leave on the 10:30 ferry, but were able to leave on the 11:30 one. This gave us a little time to grab a bite to eat in a nearby coffee shop. 

   The trip on the ferry was as pleasant as it was before and this time somewhat warmer. I found a place to sit in the dining area with Roscoe and treated ourselves to ice cream. Bobby and Shep showed up after awhile then Maridith. Lastly, Bob joined our party. 

   I simply love riding the ferry. It reminded me of the ferry I rode crossing the English channel 20 years ago with my daughters.(Doesn't seem it was that long ago!) We had taken a European trip with a group from Munford High School for a combined senior trip for Kathy, and Rachel (who was a high school freshman at the time)! Each trip was uniquely filled with memories that I draw from time and time again.



   As it turned out, Marcus offered to drive Bobby to Edinburgh to pick up Maridith's computer. This was a godsend! So while Maridith and the boys relaxed at Kate's, Bob and I reconnected with the Wadsworth's. 

   Eventually, a taxi arrived to take us to the restaurant where we met Bobby & Marcus (who had showed up first) then Kate. We laughed and visited with each other as if we had been life long friends. The servers were as fascinated by our accents as we were theirs. All in all, we packed memories in abundance of that precious time. 

   Bob and I thank God for Kate and Marcus, for they have taken Bobby & Maridith into their hearts. This gives us the sweetest of comforts knowing they will watch out for our loved ones when they move to Edinburgh next year. 


    Upon returning to the Wadsworth's, Bob and I were able to share some special moments with this family who had become like family to us. Rachel pulled out the album she had made from the pictures and memorabilia of her mum's to show me. I know creating that album kept her mum close. It will be something she will return to again and again to receive solace. 

   I spent the rest of the evening preparing thoughts that I would share the next day in Stuart's church. Stuart had invited all of us to speak. I was deeply touched that Stuart was giving me an opportunity to share some personal thoughts about Ruth and about my book, Fiery Darts: Satan's Weapon of Choice.This was one of those times (and I had known many of them on this trip) when my cup was running over. 

   We spent a full and memorable weekend in Larkhall. I will share more next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment