Saturday, January 7, 2017

Speaking at Larkhall


8-23-15


   There I was sitting in the church with all that was familiar to Ruth about me. I was a bit overwhelmed by the reality of it all. Ruth had described this church to me on several occasions via her email and later by her Fb posts. I was a contradiction of emotions! Happy beyond words to be there, but feeling a deep sadness because Ruth wasn't. (If you remember, Ruth had passed away from cancer in the fall of 2014. We had been e-pal friends for about 10 years)


   Bobby (who everyone there called Robert) spoke first. He directed his words to the children and afterwards showed a video of their work in S. Sudan. He did an excellent job, very engaging. 

   Then as is the custom at Larkhall, the children were dismissed to their own worship service. I felt very comfortable for they conducted their service much as Faith did back home. Contemporary choruses  were sung, being read from words placed on the big screen (you can see the screen behind me in the above photo) I can't say I was familiar with the songs but they were beautiful. 

                 
interview
       
                    
sermon


   
The order of service for that day was to conduct a brief interview with Bob and I, then Bob would speak. Bob spoke for 15 minutes! Don't remember him ever being that brief😄



   Stuart introduced me as the only friend of Ruth's that he had never met. But Ruth had told him about me and of my dream to come to Scotland. 



   I have included the audio of that interview. I was pleased to be able to share how Ruth and I became friends, and of my family, and about my book, Fiery Darts. (Please let me know if you are not able to open the audio link above)



   After the worship service, we gathered in the fellowship hall for tea and coffee with cookies. Just like the previous churches we had visited. The fellowship was warm and friendly. Because of the bond we share in Christ, we felt like lifelong friends immediately. No matter where I have gone in the world, this is the way it goes when I meet fellow brother's and sister's in Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment