Saturday, February 18, 2017

It's amazing what God can do when we open ourselves to friendship!

8/23/15 
Larkhall Baptist Church
Evening Service

   After a short rest at the Manse, it was time to walk next door for the evening service. Bobby brought Shep over and Sarah brought out the legos for Shep to play with. Bobby proceeded over to the church which was only next door to prepare for the evening service. 

   As with Bob and I, Stuart would first interview Bobby & Maridith then Bobby would preach. I am always impressed to hear Bobby & Maridith's testimonies about their call to missions. I understand so much better now that when God calls you to something, He equips you to carry out that call. I see the wisdom of that borne out whenever I have the privilege of listening to my son and daughter in law as they describe the life they live.

   Bobby's sermon was based on taking God's Word to Judea, Samaria, and to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8). His questions was, "Where do you serve?" A question we all need to ask ourselves, I think!

   We lingered around after church saying our farewell's to our Larkhall Baptist church friends. This wasn't very easy for me. While I was glad to be heading back to America, and my home on the farm, the desire to remain in Scotland pulled at my heart.

   But the preparations of packing had to be made. Returning to the manse, I spent the next few hours repacking our suitcases. It soon became all to apparent that if I was going to pack all the souvenirs I had bought, I had to leave some of my clothing and articles behind. (had to keep each bag at 50 lbs. or lower)

3 pair of jeans (they are weighty), a favorite pink top, some p.j's, about 4 T-shirts, most of my toiletries, a book (Highland Legacy), socks, and pair of dress pants. After all, most of these could be replaced when I returned home by a quick trip to Walmart and Goody's.

   After the feat of packing was complete, I went downstairs to enjoy a time of food and fellowship with  the Wadsworth's and several of their close friends. It was just one more reminder of the common bond that exists between Christian's. No matter where in the world we gather, our friendship and fellowship is instant and oh so sweet!

   I noticed that I had lost a charm from my bracelet while at the table. My daughter had given me the charm and I really hated to loose it. Fortunately, it was discovered lying on the floor in the living room. We had gathered there to watch a Scottish comedian on tv (sorry, don't remember his name. But he was funny) and it was found on the floor by the sofa. (Alas, it was lost once more after I returned home. This time for good :(  

   My last night in Scotland was crowned by tender moments as Rachel finished showing me the scrapbook she had made of the remembrances of her mum. With each turn of the page, it was as if Ruth, herself, was allowing me to share a glimpse of her life that extended beyond our emails. 

   Ruth and I both favored the works of Jan Karon. Her work, The Mitford Series held prominence in our libraries. So you can imagine the tug at my heart when Sarah asked me to choose a book from that series for my own. I chose the first one, At Home in Mitford. Here it sits in it's new home on my bookshelf. I shared mine and Ruth's story on Jan Karon's Facebook page along with these photos. 


"It is amazing what God can do when we open ourself up to friendship" Sarah Wadsworth

INDEED!

No comments:

Post a Comment