Sunday, March 12, 2017

Flying home but not without a hitch!

 




   We arrived at the airport where Bobby dropped us all off. He then proceeded to Enterprise to turn in the van and get a taxi ride back to the airport.


While he was gone we checked in our luggage. We were relieved that each piece we checked in did not exceed the 50 lb. limit. We had spent quite a lot of time reshuffling things to make that happen. (Which would prove to set me up for a delimma)


Hung out with Maridith and the boys while we waited for Bobby to return. They were to leave around 4pm. A few hours after our flight.

Bobby returned and we shared a few parting moments and hugs. 











I think the look on my face is pretty transparent. It was time to say goodbye! It was something I had resigned myself to. Though reluctantly. After our last lingering hugs, my husband and I made our way to security. 

And then it began!


   My backpack didn't make it through the first scan. I thought, "Oh well, nothing to worry about." After the second scan, they began asking me questions about the contents. Especially the box full of books.  Bobby has thought he would mail it home but reconsidered after we found out how much it would cost. We decided that I would bring it home with me in my suitcase. Now this wouldn't have been a problem, IF I had left it in my suitcase. But remember the reshuffling I mentioned that I had done to keep my suitcase within the 50 lb. limit?  I had taken that box out and put it in my backpack instead.

   What I had failed to remember was that Bobby had put a knife in with those books that he wanted to give to a friend back home. I had totally forgotten about that! If Bobby had of known that I had put the box in my backpack, he could have warned me about the knife. However, I never told him!

   The security people proceeded to take my passport and boarding pass. And directed me to sit on a bench and wait for the police to come and open the box. Bob waited awhile with me before the police came. He waited for as long as he dared. Finally, we decided that he needed to go on to the gate to explain why I wasn't there. (Though the police assured me that I wouldn't miss my flight!) I felt frightened, alone and abandoned.


   I waited and waited. I sat on that bench praying like I had never prayed before. Pleading with God that I wouldn't miss my flight and that He would keep me from panicking. The whole time I sat there, I never remembered about the knife. 

At last the police arrived and unpack the box in front of me. When they pulled out the knife, the shock on my face must have convinced them of my innocence. They concluded that it was an oversight on my part. Of course, they confiscated the knife. They returned my precious passport and boarding pass. 

   I fairly flew to my gate.  All the passengers, except me, had boarded the plane. Bob had explained to the gate attendants what had happened. 

   The plane was to leave at 12:05 and it was about 11:47 by the time I got to my gate. Unbeknownst to me those police were trailing me the whole time. I was so focused on following the directions to my gate that I didn't have time to worry about if I was being followed or not. 

   The attendants were super helpful and assured us the plane wasn't going to leave without us. And they were right. But we were the last ones on the plane. I have to say that of all the predicaments my children have gotten me into, this was at the top of the list to date.

   But if you were to ask me if my dream trip to Scotland was worth all this trauma? I would reply, "Oh yes, and then some!" But I don't want to ever go through something like this again!






Wow, after what I had been through, these beauties were a welcomed sight!





No comments:

Post a Comment