Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Day 2 - Haggis

August 9, 2015
   Before I tell you about lunch, let's back up a bit. As sleep gave way to consciousness this morning,and before my eyes opened, I smiled when I realized, "Wow, I'm in Scotland!"  It's a crazy sensation to awaken to a dream, but that's what I did each and every morning while I was in Scotland.



My home display of my quaich accented
 with heather.  
   Okay, as Bobby and I ambled our way back to the apartment, we passed a shop window displaying quaichs (pronounced "quake").
   I first learned of this uniquely Scottish invention while watching the BBC tv show, Monarch of the Glen (Hector scooped water from the loch using a quaich to christen his baby granddaughter!). Quaichs, originating in the Highlands, are a ceremonial drinking cup. 
   So I determined to return to that little shop and buy myself a quaich to commemorate my trip to Scotland. 


  After joining the rest of our crew, it was decided that we would eat lunch at a nearby restaurant that Bobby & Maridith had discovered named Merlin's. (Don't think it had anything to do with King Arthur though). Packing out the stroller with kids and stuff, we set off for the restaurant. 






On the way, we passed the 'grocery store' where we did our shopping. Nothing like back home in size, but sufficient for our needs. 




Happy Lane family. Roscoe was asleep when I took this picture at the restaurant, but later wakened. Now you should notice the knitted 'cocoon' he's snuggled in. (The cap is lying beside it) It was made for big brother and passed down to little brother. And yes, I knitted it! 

The Haggis Experience!

   When I looked at the menu, there it was: Haggis! Haggis, I have come to understand, reflects the Scottish trait of thriftiness as it uses most of the animal in the recipe. And since I was in Scotland, it behoved me to give it a try.   
   I came to Scotland with the intention of tasting haggis but I didn't really expect to like it. After all, it's made of sheep's heart, liver, and lungs; mixed with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt; mixed with stock and traditionally encased in the animal's stomach. (Sort of like a sausage:o)
   Therefore, I ordered a dish called Balmoral Chicken–baked chicken layered with haggis. With sides of mashed potatoes and gravy, carrots, cucumbers, and English peas. 
Bobby ordered the haggis in a bowl (pictured) so we could all get a taste of it without being interfered with by the chicken.


And guess what folks, I liked it! I wasn't expecting to, thought I would just taste it just so I could say I did and that would be the end of it. All I had to do was just not think of what it was made of. I think the flavor of the spices and oatmeal helped in that effort. 







   We closed out our 2nd day in Scotland in a familiar American way; got a pizza to go for supper. (No shirt for Shep in this case for pizza can be very messy when you are a 2 year old! And, oh yeah, gotta get that hair pulled back so it won't get in the way!) 
   Spent the evening eating our tasty pizza while we made plans and prepared for the following day–which just happened to be Bobby & Maridith's anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment