Tuesday, September 8, 2015

LOVING–IN PERSON

   I was a little concerned about how our 2 1/2 Shep might react to seeing us in person for the first time (according to him. He wouldn't remember us seeing him when he was 3 months old.)  Was prepared to take it kinda slow and allow him time to warm up to us. HOWEVER, when he saw us he came right over and gave us a hug. He knew who we were!

   This was totally unexpected. Yes, we had talked to him on the phone, so he knew our voices. We had video chatted with him so he knew what we looked like! But I figured seeing us in person, being able to touch us, well, I expected a little shyness at the first moments.

   I am beyond happy to say that it was like we had been around him during those 2 1/2 years of his growing. God overwhelmed me!




   It a wonderful feeling to be greeted by such a smile. Maridith was happy in her little nest and it showed all over her beautiful face. I was beyond thrilled to be there and have the chance to love on her, my grandsons, and my son.


   I discovered in our conversations together why it was Shep appeared to be so comfortable around us. While we had spent many fun moments talking to him on the phone and video chatting, there was something beyond that that contributed to his being familiar with us.

   Maridith told me that she and Bobby, in preparation for this trip would often talk about seeing us soon, as well as mentioning our names in prayer. Additionally, they would show him the picture they have of us setting on the bookshelf. I believe this deliberate effort to familiarize Shep with his family back home, accounts for Shep's knowing who we were and warming up to us so quickly.


   As soon as Bobby finished carrying the 3rd & final piece of heavy luggage up the 3 flights of stairs to their apartment (yep, no elevator folks), we proceeded to their bedroom to take a look at Roscoe who was fast asleep.

   For a quick moment (because Grandaddy woke him up when he pulled back the covers. Roscoe opened his sleepy little eyes and guess what he did? He looked up at us and smiled!) I gazed upon this little person, with a developed little personality, who had suddenly appeared before me. It wasn't so easy to wrap my mind around the fact that this beautiful sleeping baby was my grandson. Especially, when I wasn't around to experience his mother's pregnancy and he was almost 5 months old when I saw him in person for the very first time! 

   But as soon as I laid eyes on him, the love I had stored up for him as I viewed pictures and videos of him online prior to this moment, came flowing out of me and happily fixed itself onto this newest member of our family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment