Saturday, September 5, 2015

TOGETHER AGAIN, FINALLY!


Together finally! Almost two hours after landing we finally found each other!
   Anxiously anticipating the sight of our son, we made our way to the baggage pick up area. I had no way of communicating with Robert other than facebook messaging. We had the whole crew keeping up with our adventure there. I noticed that I could get 2 hours of free wifi so figuring that would give us more than enough time to join up with Robert, I signed up. There was a message waiting for me from Maridith saying that Bobby would be a little late due to the fact that his clothes were locked in the dryer. Assuming that meant he needed those clothes to wear when picking us up, we pushed the luggage carts (one for each of us) towards the exit doors to wait for Robert outside the terminal. I sent a facebook message that we were at the bus (coach in Scotland) pick up area. That was about 20 minutes into the 2 hour free wifi I had and then no more. I had no way of letting Robert know where we were!

   A couple of very nice Scotsmen (one at the information desk, another a taxi driver) used their phones to call the number I had for Robert but could only leave a message, as he did not answer. Fortunately, there was a taxi shelter area for those waiting on a taxi. We pulled our luggage carts  inside the shelter trying to escape the cold wind of a typical Scottish August morning. Fortunately, we had jackets being forewarned that we would need them for the high  50's low 60's temperatures typical of August weather in Scotland. We sat there shivering a bit while we wondered where in the world was our son!

   Finally, I agreed for Bob to walk back into the terminal to see if Bobby was waiting for us there. I was a bit uncomfortable that all 3 of us were now separated from each other but it seemed the logical thing to do. As my feet were freezing, I put on Bob's socks that he had in his backpack. However, flip flops with socks (especially oversized socks) would draw unwanted attention my way so I attempted to locate my tennis shoes. All I had to do was pull them out of the suitcase, which would have been a simple solution except that my suitcase was on the bottom with a heavy suitcase stacked on top of it.  

   Well, I was able to find my tennis shoes and put them on asap.  But the real challenge was to get those suitcases restacked.  Try as I might, I could not manage it. The taxi driver who had let me use his phone earlier had been standing nearby and seeing my dilemma came to my rescue. Thank God for that man!

   I resumed my vigil of waiting and added a prayer that wherever Robert was, God would bring us together. That was the Truth thought I was focusing on when I heard a very familiar laugh.  Sure enough it was Robert and his dad.  Bob had indeed found Robert in the terminal where he had been waiting on us all along. It was a happy reunion, somewhat frustrating but humorous all the same, because with our son, nothing every develops normally!

No comments:

Post a Comment